The Applications of Fourier Analysis

Posted June 24th, 2010 at 12:49 pm.

Abstract: Asha Habib
Mentor:Dr. Cheng
My summer research will focus on applications of Fourier analysis. Fourier analysis, developed by Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier, allows one to take complicated mathematical objects and decompose them as a sum of sines and cosines, making them more manageable. Further research of Fourier analysis allowed for future developments so that signals could be compressed and be sent quickly and efficiently. This had led to much advancement in technology over the past decades. In particular, I will study applications to telecommunication. Also, I will learn how to write in LaTex. This program allows writers to create large and complex projects. Unlike Microsoft Word, the writer is not distracted with the presentation of his or her work. In LaTex, the writer simply writes a command in order to format the project to his or her desire. Also, LaTex is very user friendly for mathematics because of its options to code equations and graphs into one’s paper. In all, learning how to use LaTex and gaining an understating of Fourier analysis will provide exposure to mathematical research and prepare me for future research.

Filed under: 2010,Cheng, Dr. Leslie,Habib, Asha Tags: by Lisa Klinman