What is Art?

Posted June 24th, 2010 at 1:34 pm.

Abstract: Anna Benjamin
Mentor: Dr. Xu
What is art? What about computer graphics? Is a written code art? Is it creative? Is it unique? How do we look at graphic art? Do we critique graphic art by the code, by the final piece, or by both? Is one more important than the other? How do we look at computer art differently than traditional art?

When considering computer graphics, we must combine coding with artistic skills. Because this field is a blend of these two (some might say) very different fields, it is important to be able to look at graphics from both viewpoints.

Processing was founded by Ben Fry and Casey Reas as a software sketchbook in 2001. It is an integrated development environment (IDE) created with the goal of teaching basic computer programming skills within a visual context. However, Processing has since become an IDE used to create finished professional works as well. This environment is an example of how coding and art can be merged harmoniously.

My work this summer will explore what can be done in art with Processing. Using this environment I will create a series of abstract works with code. There are many different ways in which to represent a single object in traditional art forms, likewise in Processing. Through my series, I will explore all the techniques of representation that Processing is capable of. I will produce a set of works that represent this single object in various ways. Through my processes I will be considering what this type of art means and I will be exploring answers to the questions above. I am approaching this project and these questions from an artistic standpoint, and so it will be very interesting for me to work towards an artwork through this different form of representation.

Filed under: 2010,Benjamin, Anna,Xu, Dr. Dianna Tags: by Lisa Klinman