Exploring the Physics Underlying Computer Graphics Animations

Posted July 10th, 2011 at 9:36 pm.

Abstract: Melanie Shafer

Mentor: Deepak Kumar

My work involves using the Processing language to create animations that incorporate physics concepts. I will explore the need for animations to be physically accurate and see what role physics and mathematical equations play while creating a sketch. I will write sketches to model topics such as gravity, collisions, projectile motion, and springs, and I will determine how models from physics can be applied. By creating these models I will also be expanding on the current uses of Processing and adding to the Processing community.

Processing is a Java-based open source programming language and environment primarily developed for creating graphics and animations. It was initiated by MIT students Ben Fry and Casey Reas in 2001. In comparison to other languages, manipulating graphics in Processing is more accessible, which attributes to the language’s success. Programs created in Processing can also be exported as applets so that they may be viewed and interacted with in a browser. The ability to create interactive programs using 2-dimensional, 3-dimensional, or PDF output grants a large amount of versatility to the programmer.

Filed under: 2011,Kumar, Deepak,Shafer, Melanie,Uncategorized by Michelle Han